The old generator was jammed into the front of the old A/C condenser bay with no thought given to future maintenance and covered by a door (shorter than the generator itself) and a permanently attached piece of bus siding.
Here’s the old bay door (left) and the extra piece of siding (right). There was no way to get that thing out!
It was not designed to be serviced or removed. In fact, I don’t know how they got it in there? They must have set it in while they were doing the conversion? So I pulled the door and the adjacent bus siding to get access to the compartment.
As you can see in this picture there is a welded stainless support bracket preventing removal of the generator. So I cut that bracket out and the generator came easily (with the help of a forklift) courtesy of my friendly Kubota dealer!
Here’s the old genset after I removed the bracket and the next picture shows it sitting in the bed of my Toyota pickup.
Using the chain hoist I put in my shop, I soon had it blocked up on the shop floor. As I said, I really don’t know much about these things, but I ‘m really good at taking things apart. So it didn’t take me long to separate the offending generator head from the engine.
Fortunately, putting the new head on the engine was mostly a reverse of the disassembly so after a few calls to Wrico International, a couple trips to Dobbels for bolts and some blue locktite and I had the new generator bolted up and ready for the next step.
Here I just finished the new head installation. Nice shop, huh!
The next step was to transfer all the control electrics from the old genset to my new one. Most of the electrics were associated with the engine, like preheat, start, stop, oil pressure and coolant temperature, etc. So I need all of that in the new control box. Of course, some of the components I didn’t need any more so I had to figure out what to keep and what to junk. Since the old generator was already set up with the switches and relays for preheat, start/stop, hour meter, remote start, etc. I simply transferred the relevant parts to the new enclosure. Now, I’ve built a few classic cars and a street rod and I rewired the dash in MightyBus, so this part of the job was not too tough. My new generator has electronic voltage control so I could toss the old capacitors and the old control box was also a casualty.
Here I have the old control box resting on top while I transfer all the important bits to the new control box.
I’m almost finished installing the controls in the new box.
Stay tuned for Part 3: Generator Bay Reconstruction